I spent the weekend in and around Baltimore, here and there. What a swank time that was. Let me tell you not very much at all about it.
Last night, after dinner and a bit too much wine (which for me these days is any), I was watching TV and I caught a trailer for a film soon to be released in the U.S. as "Eight Women." The cast includes practically every hot French actress since the late-'30s (with the notable exception of Emmanuelle Seigner - and in case you're unclear, she's not from that series of... "films"). Making up the featured playlist: Catherine Deneuve, Isabelle Huppert, Emmanuelle Béart, Fanny Ardant, Virginie Ledoyen, Ludivine Sagnier, Firmine Richard, Danielle Darrieux.
The film debuted in Europe as "8 femmes," but I believe the working title was "L'Wanque."
So here are a couple of lists detailing only a few things I do and do not miss about drinking.
Things I miss about drinking:
Things I do not miss about drinking:
- Pinot noir.
- Everything is funny: everyone is drunk.
- The way you can smile, especially when the lights are down low, and your entire body gets warm, and it feels like that smile is 11 feet tall.
That will be all.
Click to share:
- Alcoholic insomnia.
- Being incapable of cleanly pulling off the V/II ascending-thirds resolution section of "St. Martin's" for an otherwise very appreciative and attentive impromptu crowd gathered around the fireplace.
- Feeling like a swollen hemorrhoid on a turtle's ass in the morning.
- Urgent and frequent urination.
- Late-night posts, mangled.
- Telling the story of my wholly unexpected encounter with The Fist to my friend Bill's 70-something-year-old mother around 2am at Bill's 40th birthday party.
- Whiskey shits.
- Closing the place.
- Adventures in mass transit.
- It wasn't all that brilliant, those things you said.
»Back to Whinge